Nicki Minaj hosted the EMAs (European Music Awards) on 9th November, wearing a grand total of 10 outfits. The award show, intended to be about music but really ended up being more about the stars (it is an MTV production after all), honoured artists in various different categories and saw performances by a selection of artists including Ms Minaj herself. But really, who cared about the music, or awards for that matter, when Nicki was hosting? She is a naturally funny, charismatic woman and, not to mention, stunning. Her outfits at the EMAs were probably the sole reason I kept watching, anticipating a change every time she emerged – and she didn’t disappoint.
I have managed to identify some of the looks that she has worn but others I am unsure of, they may be custom made? Here is a round up of everything that she wore, starting from the very beginning.
- Nicki opened the show wearing an sparkle encrusted bustier and a long, ruffled skirt made by Peter Hidalgo whom she has supported on many occasions before. She was suspended from the ceiling, showing off the length and intricate design of the actual skirt which was likely over twice as long as she is.
- Secondly, she wore this beautiful red mini dress, which may be my favourite of the night. It was scalloped with pleated, shell like pieces of fabric to create a ruffled effect. She teamed it up with strappy red heels and a heart shaped cuff. Really, she looked radiant. I loved this. I haven’t yet found out the designer of this dress, so if anybody knows please tell me.
- Next up was a floor length black gown which clung to her body in all the right places and just oozed sex appeal. The entire top half was sheer with just a v shape of diamonds covering her up. And as for the dinosaur in the background, the theme of the show was time travel…
- White hot in Roberto Cavalli, Nicki looked incredible a dress from his Spring 2015 collection, worn by Malaika Firth on the runway. The actual dress on the catwalk was a shade of brown, whereas Nicki’s was white but that is not irregular for colours to be changed for customers. She simply glowed in this look.
- The next time Nicki returned to the stage was to perform. Singing an old classic, Super Bass, a new smash, Anaconda and debuting a single off of her upcoming album, Nicki put on a good show. As always, there is lots of dancing and gyrating on the stage so she needed a costume to accomodate this. For her performance she wore a lace, full body catsuit, similar to many that she has worn in the past (which has been identified as from American Apparel but I think this one is slightly different).
- After her performance, she returned in a geometric Gareth Pugh cape and dress, straight from his Spring 2015 collection (minus the wild headpiece). The print is a bit of an optical illusion so I’m not wild on it but it reminded me a little bit of what Nicki used to wear, when she was more wild and outrageous as opposed to just beautiful and sensual now. PS – the bob with bangs made a return, one of my least favourite Nicki hair styles. Overall, this look was a bit of a miss for me.
- Then there was a emerald green sparkling dress that was worn when she attempted to take a selfie more epic than Ellen’s infamous Oscar image. Unfortunately, the photo was ruined by the return of the giant dinosaur so we never really got a good look at it. It is actually mildly difficult to get an image of the dress so apologies for that (seriously, I can only find a gif).
- Then it was Alexander Wang’s Spring 2015 tennis dress that made an appearance (the one that is designed to look like a pair of Stan Smith trainers). Nicki wore it for a segment where she played golf because seemingly that is a very Scottish thing to do? Perhaps I have just missed that wave..
- Dazzling in Saint Laurent, which I have already posted about in a “Shopping Find” post, Nicki’s final presenting outfit of the night was one that you cannot forget. Covered in sequins to create a leopard print pattern with a risqué hemline, the dress was brilliant. Nicki has worn Saint Laurent often recently and she always manages to make it something completely different than on the runway. Hedi Slimane’s Saint Laurent girl is rock’n’roll, skinny and smoking (both literally and metaphorically) yet Nicki is the opposite. She is curvaceous and sexy and manages to transform Hedi’s girl into someone a hell of a lot more interesting and relatable on a wider scale.
- Last but not least, the after-show outfit. Nicki wore a black dress (which could also be a playsuit, I’m not 100% certain) and an oversized green brocade jacket. I didn’t love this look really, I think the dress/playsuit/whatever didn’t look very well made but that may just be the photos.
So that is it, although that seems like a bit of an understatement. 10 outfits in the space of 2 hours is a pretty big deal, especially since many of the outfits will have cost thousands of dollars a pop (the Saint Laurent dress is $15,900 retail). I guess Nicki doesn’t have to worry about cost-per-wear… Or maybe she was sent outfits/borrowed them for the show? Either way, she looked damn good and made the EMAs really a one woman show. Forget the awards, forget the performances: the truly memorable thing about this show was the host herself.
Most images were from mtv.com, style.com or various Google images searches.